Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Thai memories at Rosa's Spitalfields, Mango Tree and Yelo Canteen

Mango Tree

I used to have two friends, being a couple who lived around Victoria. I try to catch up with them as much as I can whenever there is an opportunity. One time, we decided to catch up at their turf and found ourselves at Mango Tree.

A group of us met up and walked in around lunch time and we found ourselves to be the only diners there. Now, Mango Tree is really huge with numerous tables and when you find yourselves to be the only table there in such a vast space, it does lend an uncomfortable silence of you-can-hear-a-pin-drop vibe to the place. In fact, we only saw one other occupied table throughout our meal there.


Po Piah PakTod Mun Pla

Gai Pad Gratiam Pik Tai

kow Pad saparot


After our lunch, all I can say is that the whole meal was quite forgettable and I wasn't blown away by any of the dishes.

Will I recommend: No
Will I come back: No
Have I had better: Yes

Mango Tree, 16 Grosvenor Place, Belgravia, SW1X 7EQ

Mango Tree on Urbanspoon



Rosa’s Spitalfields

I came here to celebrate Ms. Chocoholic birthday with a dinner. I was late and by the time I arrived, orders have been made which was good as it meant the waiting time was shorter for the food to arrive.



Chicken Satay

Chicken Satay £6.25

The chicken satay was good but I was slightly disappointed with the peanut sauce. The flavour of the peanuts in the peanut sauce was not bold enough.


Thai Calamari

Thai calamari £6.25

Chewy to the bite with a slight spicy kick, it was good but no fireworks.


Tom yam
Tom yam £5.99

I can't comment on the Tom Yam as I did not try it.

sirloin beef with vegetables
Sirloin beef with vegetables £9.49

garlic brown rice
Garlic brown rice £3.49

I really enjoyed the mains with each dish showcasing their elements. They were all satisfying dishes.


Will I recommend: Yes
Will I come back: Yes
Have I had better: Yes

Rosa's Spitalfields, 12 Hanbury Street, London E1 6QR

Rosa's on Urbanspoon



Yelo Canteen

I had a date with Ms. Black and we ended up heading to Yelo Canteen in Hoxton for dinner as she is a frequent diner here. The lady boss greeted us and Ms. Black wanted me to try a dish that she particularly likes here. Unfortunately, it wasn't on the menu but fortunately, lady boss says that she will get the kitchen to cook it.


Platter

We started with a mix platter of appetisers while waiting for our mains. There was a trio of appetisers consisting of chicken satay, fish cakes and spring rolls. I wasn't too impressed with the chicken satay but the fish cakes had a nice spicy kick to it and a QQ texture. The spring rolls were forgettable.

Meanwhile, a group of Spanish tourist sat next to us and we started engaging in conversation with them. They noticed when our mains arrived and decided to order off menu too. Don't think the lady boss was too happy but she placed their orders to the kitchen too.

flowers 030

The off menu dish is a dry vermicelli stir fried with vegetables and seafood. It was way too spicy and started tickling the throat in a bad way. This was due to too much curry powder being used. Even Ms. Black and I couldn't handle it and had to send it back. The poor father from the Spanish table who ordered the same thing as us had to do the same too.

The second version was much better. Yelo canteen serves cheap and cheerful food. I wouldn't go out of my way here but I wouldn't mind it either.



Will I recommend: Yes
Will I come back: Yes
Have I had better: Yes

Yelo Canteen, 8-9 Hoxton Square, London N1 6NU

Yelo on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...