Thursday, December 8, 2011

Birmingham Eats: Malaysian Delight & Cafe Chino


Birmingham is reputed to have the second largest population of Malaysians after London or so I've heard. So when I headed there for a weekend trip, I was looking forward to a particular Malaysian restaurant that I've heard good things about. Most importantly, they serve marmite chicken. I mean marmite chicken, I absolutely love this dish since it was invented less than 10 years ago.

So I arrived into Birmingham and it was straight onto dinner even though it was way past what is considered to be the usual dinner time. Over the course of the next few days, I've been coming back to savour on other Malaysian dishes as well.

The restaurant that I've been talking about is called Malaysian Delight. This looks like one of your typical local rustic place and is definitely not posh or the like. I wasn't bothered as most importantly, it is always the food right?

Below are some of the dishes that I've tried.

Picture 237
Kangkong belacan

Crunchy stems and silky leaves that have picked up the belacan sauce so that each and every mouthful is a tingling fiery sensation. I can never get enough of kangkong belacan.

Picture 236

Now to the one dish that I have been salivating and looking longingly forward for days, the Marmite chicken. It was delicious and I can't describe how happy I was. Marmite chicken does not taste anything like what you taste straight out of the jar. This is more akin to pork spare ribs where you get this sticky caramelised coating with a sweet tanginess due to the marmite. My only chafe was the sesame seeds sprinkles. Marmite chicken does not have sesame seeds sprinkles and I always forget to mention to them to not add this.



Picture 234
Char Kway Teow

Picture 233
Hokkien Noodle

Picture 241
Chicken Rice

The rest of the other rice and noodle based dishes are tasty and satisfying. Malaysian Delight is definitely one of the better Malaysian restaurants that I have come across and this includes those in London.

Will I recommend: Yes
Will I come back: Yes
Have I had better: Not in the UK



Malaysian Delight, Ladywell Walk, West Midlands B5

Malaysian Delight on Urbanspoon


Caffe Chino

I can never resist places which serve bubble tea and when I saw a sign outside Cafe Chino advertising their bubble teas, in we went to get some. 



Picture 244

Picture 243




We couldn't help ordering some egg tarts either which were quite delectable. I thought that the bubble tea was overly sweet, hence is advisable that you ask for less sweetness when ordering.

Will I recommend: Yes
Will I come back: Yes
Have I had better: Yes

Caffe Chino, B107, Arcadian Centre, 70 Hurst Stunit, Birmingham B5

Caffe Chino on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...